The extraordinary building which houses the Watchtower Gallery was built in 1848 at the same time as Robert Stephenson’s splendid railway viaduct was being constructed. It has had a chequered history, housing for various periods a Presbyterian church (its original purpose), the Co-operative Wholesale Society social rooms, a carpet warehouse, and for forty years it was the Jehovah Witnesses' Kingdom Hall and is now an Art Gallery.
Since the Watchtower Gallery opened in September 2012 we have held over thirty exhibitions dedicated to more than sixty British artists. Each year there is an Open Exhibition in which everything that is submitted is hung. Everyone is welcome to participate.
The Watchtower Gallery has recently formed a Board of Trustees so that future plans can be made on a broader base. Plans for next year include in the spring a world first: The Tweed and Salmon Fishing. In the summer: a collaboration of established Northumbrian and Berwickshire artists (The Borders Group). In the autumn we look forward to a retrospective exhibition of work by Jock McFadyen RA. Alongside this programme a book dedicated to the life and work of Ian Stephenson which will include a Catalogue Raisonné of his entire oeuvre is being compiled.